It’s important to do what you can to make your home more energy-efficient. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, “Heat gain and heat loss through windows are responsible for 25%-30% of residential heating and cooling energy use.” If your windows are not energy-efficient, you may be paying for hours of climate control that literally ends up going right out the window.
Using energy wisely is good for the planet and your pocketbook. You may wonder if replacing your old windows will actually reduce energy costs. While windows do not consume energy directly, they impact your home’s heating and cooling capacities. Installing energy-efficient windows can reduce the energy your building’s HVAC system needs to use to regulate the internal temperature properly. When your HVAC system doesn’t need to work as hard, it uses less energy, which saves you money.
Tips For Selecting Energy-Efficient Windows
The U.S. Department of Energy recommends the following tips when choosing the most energy-efficient windows in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Look for Energy Star or NFRC (National Fenestration Rating Council) labels
- Look for a low solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC). SHGC is a measure of solar radiation admitted through a window. Windows that have a low SHGC reduce heat gain in warm climates.
- Don’t ignore the window’s U-Value. This measures the window’s ability to resist heat transfer. The lower the U-Value, the better the window is at resisting heat flow, which results in a greater insulating value.
- Select windows with coatings designed to reduce heat gain.
- Consider laminated, tempered, or tinted glass for added ultraviolet protection to keep your home cool and comfortable.
AAA Screen & Window Can Install Your Energy-Efficient Windows
No matter how energy-efficient your replacement windows may be, they will only help reduce your energy usage if installed correctly. Window installation varies by the type of window, construction material, exterior material, and the type of weather-restrictive barrier present (if there is one).
AAA Screen & Window has over 60 years of experience installing replacement windows in Atlanta, Georgia. Our family-owned company was started in 1959, and we are proud to use only high-quality materials for your job.
Contact us to schedule your FREE replacement window consultation. A minimum of 6 windows per job is required.